If you’re not a fan of going on a long run, doing a bunch of ab exercises, or lifting heavy weights, then Zumba classes should be your go-to.
In 2001, Zumba was officially founded in the US by a Colombian dancer, Alberto “Beto” Perez. Although the dance workout wasn’t quick to rise in popularity, people eventually started appreciating the concept of “fitness as fun.” Soon, Zumba was a good alternative for those who wanted to exercise while having fun.
Now, Zumba offers beginner and seasoned gym-goers a fun and energetic workout routine. And what’s even better is that this dance-based program doesn’t require any dancing experience, exercise equipment, or running!
In this blog post, we’ll cover everything you wanted to know about Zumba classes and provide the perfect gym to take these classes.
What Is Zumba?
Zumba is an aerobic fitness program that uses various Latin American dance moves and music. Zumba is a famous group exercise routine that helps tone and shape your body and even helps with weight loss and strength building.
And who doesn’t enjoy dancing to great music with fantastic people while burning a ton of calories at the same time, right?
Each Zumba workout features highly choreographed movements set to unique salsa and international music. In summary, Zumba is a fun, highly-energetic full-body workout experience that keeps you entertained and helps you achieve your fitness goals.
What to Expect During a Zumba Class
Here’s what to expect during your first Zumba class:
- Before the class: Zumba classes obviously involve a lot of dancing. Additionally, these classes are around 45-minutes long and will usually start with a quick warm-up to get your blood flowing and ensure you don’t injure yourself during the workout.
- During the class: You’ll spend most of the class dancing to an upbeat Salsa playlist. The dance moves can intensify throughout the workout. Some movements or exercises you can expect include squats, lunges, and presses.
- At the end of the class: Once the main workout ends, you’ll finish off with a cool down to lower your heart rate and relax your muscles.
Benefits of Zumba
Here are three significant benefits of taking on a Zumba class:
- Builds cardio endurance: Zumba is an incredibly active workout that can get you sweating and your heart pumping. As a result, Zumba can decrease your heart rate over time, lower your blood pressure, and improve your overall health.
- Improves balance and flexibility: A Zumba fitness class is very different from regular exercises like speed walking, running, and cycling. These classes involve Latin dance moves, rotations, and other movements that can help you improve your balance and flexibility. And who knows, you might learn a few dance moves that you can show off to your friends!
- Boosts your mental health: In general, exercise can boost your mental health and mood. However, in particular, Zumba has proven to improve mental health, increase energy levels, and put you in a better mood.
Zumba classes are incredibly safe since the instructor will demonstrate and explain the choreography before you attempt it.
Additionally, if you feel uncomfortable with a specific move, you can modify the activity to suit your body. For example, you can avoid jumping and perform a stretching movement instead if you have a bad knee.
You can also discuss any limitations you might have with the instructor before beginning the practice. This way, your instructor can advise what additional classes or programs you can take to improve those limitations and offer adequate modifications during classes.
However, it’s also essential to consult your doctor before starting Zumba classes, especially if you have any heart problems, uncontrolled blood pressure, or back pains.
Visit the Loggerhead Fitness website if you’re looking for the perfect gym with the ultimate safety precautions.
At Loggerhead Fitness, we offer a facility that’s safe, clean, and calm for people of all ages.
Additionally, we offer top-notch Zumba classes for older adults, beginners, and seasoned dancers. In fact, our Zumba instructors are recognized as some of the best in Palm Beach County!